Villa Sostaga has always been connected to the concept of “holiday and relaxation”. The mountain dwelling was, in fact, a summer residence, ideal for abandoning the stuffiness and the heat of the Riviera, during the summer months. Comfortable and simple at the same time, the Villa is only an example of the initiative of the noble Feltrinelli Family, that in the years between the 1800’s and 1900’s, built not only private houses such as the Palace in Vittorio Veneto Square, but was active even with social and charitable works.
Thanks to this activism we have the construction of a hospital in Gargnano, of a nursery and elementary school, which was named after Capitan Angelo Feltrinelli, who died during the Great War; as well as the creation of a cemetery and the Convent of Saint Thomas, in Villa di Gargnano. Engineer Giuseppe Feltrinelli was the author of designs and of the installation of links between the Riviera and Montegargnano, making it possible to reach the various hamlets, even the most hidden ones, in which other two school buildings were built.
About twenty years later, to favour the wood business, a flourishing activity in the hinterland of Lake Garda, the roadways continued in the direction of Valvestino, favouring not only the transportation of materials from the mountain to the lake, but creating even great opportunities of communication between Lake Garda, Lake Idro and the most isolated valleys. Great works in small towns, therefore, which consecrated the Feltrinelli name in memory of the people and of the loved Lake Garda, and not only in the publishing field, since it is one of the main publishing houses of Italy and Europe.